If you’ve ever craved a Pot Roast on a weeknight, but didn’t have all day to wait for the roast to cook, this Instant Pot recipe is a lifesaver! This pot roast features tender cuts of beef, topped with a rich red wine gravy.
Instant Pot Sundays
We have a tendency to pack our weekends with a lot of tasks! I’m a working parent, so the weekends are often the only time I have to catch up on house cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, and spending quality time with my kids. We don’t mind our busy schedules, but it does make weekend cooking a little harder to navigate.
That’s why I am obsessed with our Instant Pot! We can have large roasts for dinner with only about an hour of cooking! I usually make some form of Instant Pot suppers on Sunday evenings for this reason.
Red Wine Sauces
This Instant Pot Pot Roast is a bit unique, because it has a red wine gravy served on top.
My family went to Disney World last month, and whenever anyone asks what my favorite part of DW was, I always say the food! I ended up having quite a few steaks with red wine sauces that were so good, I contemplated leaving my home state to move closer to Orlando.
When I got home, I signed up for an online cooking sauce, and one of the first things I learned how to make was a red wine sauce. It essentially takes the drippings of the meat, a red wine reduction, finished with butter and I swear, there is no wrong way to make that sauce. It is SO GOOD. I’ve made it 6 times in the last month, and am completely in love with it.
Instant Pot Pot Roast
You’ll start by adding 2 tbsp of butter to your Instant Pot on the saute setting. Sprinkle your roast on all sides with salt and pepper, then brown it on all sides.
Set the roast aside.
Add all of your veggies and baking soda to the pot, and saute until softened.
Add in beef broth, which will make it easy to scrape all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add in 2 bay leaves.
Next, you’ll place the roast on top of the veggies, lock the lid, then cook on high pressure for 55 minutes. Letting the pressure release naturally.
Set the roast aside, covering with foil. Transfer the vegetables and liquid to a blender and blend until smooth. Add back to the Instant Pot, along with red wine, then saute until reduced by half.
Stir in remaining 2 tbsp of butter, until melted. Sauce should be as thick as gravy.
Slice roast in to 1/2″ strips and spoon some of the gravy on top.
Printable Recipe – Instant Pot Pot Roast
Do you want to print out this recipe to hang on your fridge or share with a friend? Here is a printable version!
- 1 eye of round beef roast (3 - 4 lbs)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Turn instant pot on to Saute. Melt 2 tbsp butter and brown roast on all sides. Set aside.
- Add in onion, celery, carrots, and baking soda. Saute until veggies are softened and butter has browned. Add in beef broth, soy sauce, and bay leaves. Scrape off all of the drippings off the bottom of the pan. Place roast on top, lock lid, and cook on high pressure for 55 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure. Place roast on a plate and cover with foil.
- Transfer vegetables and remaining juices to a blender. Blend until smooth, then transfer back to the instant pot., turning onto saute. Add wine, thyme, and rosemary, bringing to a boil and stirring frequently until reduced by half.
- Stir in remaining 2 tbsp butter until melted. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Slice roast into 1/2" slices, then spoon some gravy on top. Add remaining gravy to a serving dish to pass around the table.
Pin it – Instant Pot Pot Roast
Want to pin this post to make later? Just click on the image below to pin it to your favorite Instant Pot board!
Want more delicious Instant Pot recipes? Here are some of my favorites!
- Instant Pot Honey Soy Pork Tenderloin
- 20 Clean Eating Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Hot Apple Cider