Are you looking for a DIY Lip Balm recipe? I’ve been using this recipe for more than 6 years and have had great feedback from others! This is a simple, easy to follow recipe that will become your new favorite diy lip balm. Keep reading to learn how to make a DIY Lip Balm.
I am a lip balm kinda gal. Some may call it a dependence that I have, but whatever it is… I need my lip balm.
The problem is that I happen to misplace lip balm as frequently as my daughter loses sippy cups. I am certain that if we ever move out of our home, there will be a secret closet, or hidden space with a billion lip balms and sippy cups.
I can’t afford to purchase lip balms as rapidly as I misplace them, so I figured out how to make lip balm in bulk! This way I always have a fresh supply.
The great thing about how to make lip balm from scratch is that you have complete control about what goes into the recipe. No fillers, additives, chemicals or other questionable ingredients… just 4 simple ingredients.
Added bonus: It’s SOOOOO much better on the lips. Once you try this recipe, you’ll never want to buy it from the store again!
How to Make DIY Lip Balm:
I’ve provided affiliate links below to Amazon, but you can find many of these ingredients at your local drug store, such as Walgreens or CVS.
Melt the ingredients using a double broiler method.
To melt using a double broiler, fill a small or medium-sized pot with about an inch of water. Put the pot on a burner over high heat. Set the glass bowl on top of the pot, or if using a mason jar, place the jar inside the pot. Just make sure no water gets into the mixture.
There are several essential oils that make great options for lip balms. My favorite are:
- mandarin orange
My favorite brand of essential oil is Simply Earth. They produce high quality oils and aren’t a MLM company, so you won’t pay really high prices for each bottle!
Stir together essential oils and mix, then quickly transfer to clean, unused lip balm containers.
Allow to sit undisturbed until solid (about 30 minutes).
Printable Recipe – DIY Lip Balm
If you want to print out this recipe to put on your fridge, or share with a friend, here is a printable recipe for you!
Over the years, I have also heard from readers that they’ve made this diy lip balm at birthday parties and girl’s nights, so you can print this out for that purpose as well!
- 1/4 cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Organic Beeswax
- 1/4 cup Organic Shea Butter
- 16 drops essential oil
- Add coconut oil, beeswax, and shea butter to a medium bowl or mason jar.
- Add 1" of water to a small pot and bring to a boil. If using a bowl, place on top of the pot. If using a mason jar, place inside the pot. Make sure no water comes in contact with the ingredients in the bowl/mason jar.
- Continue boiling until all ingredients are melted. Add more water to pot if it evaporates before the ingredients are melted.
- Once melted, remove from heat and add essential oils. Stir well.
- Pour into lip balm tubes or tins.
- Allow to sit undisturbed until completely solid, about 15 minutes.