There are so many reasons you should be making your own cleaning products:
- They don’t cause cancer, like commercial cleaners can1
- You’re not putting toxins into the environment
- They’re cheaper to make than to buy
- They don’t irritate your skin or eyes
- They’re kid and pet friendly
- They’re incredibly easy to make
Seriously, it is so easy to make, and I am going to show you how! You may already have all of the ingredients you need in your house!
Items you will need:
- A clean 32-oz spray bottle
- 3 cups of warm water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons baking soda(<– I no longer use baking soda, because I have heard that it can decrease the cleaning properties of the vinegar)
- 10 drops essential oil (optional)
Here’s how you do it:
Add vinegar to spray bottle, followed by water,
baking soda and essential oils. Mix by gently shaking.
I told you it was easy!
Why does it work?
Vinegar has a high acidity level, which makes it an effective mold, bacteria, and germ killer.2 I like to add essential oils to my cleaners, because they offer even more antibacterial, anti-fungal, and disinfectant properties. Here are a few you can choose to include in your homemade cleaners. Add one or several different oils to make your own custom cleaner:
- Melaleuca Essential Oil: Antibacterial and anti-fungal
- Frankincense Essential Oil: Antiseptic
- Lavender Essential Oil: Antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial
- Lemon Essential Oil: Degreaser, antibacterial and anti-fungal
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil: Antiseptic, disinfectant, and insect repellent3