Coconut Oil for Hair
Unless you’ve been living in a hole in the ground, you probably have heard about the numerous benefits of coconut oil.
I am an avid fan of coconut oil, so much, that I have to actually buy it in bulk to keep up with my demand. I use it in almost all of my beauty recipes to benefit from its moisturizing properties.
There are a lot of different recipes you can use with coconut oil, that can benefit your hair. Here are a few of my favorite recipes using coconut oil for hair. Try them out, and let me know how they work for you!
Coconut Oil Deep Conditioner
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- A shower cap
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and slather onto scalp and hair roots. Gently work the mixture down the rest of your hair, until covered, and pin up. Cover with shower cap, and leave on for 15 – 30 minutes. Rinse, shampoo and condition in the shower or bath. Style as normal.
Extra Moisturizing Coconut, Lemon & Honey Hair Mask
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice from half a lemon
Combine ingredients in a small bowl, until incorporated. Smooth onto damp hair, covering roots and scalp, and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Rinse, shampoo and condition as normal.
Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
While I haven’t tried out this recipe (yet… I’m still trying to convince my husband to let me do an experiment on him), coconut oil is said to help stimulate hair growth and development.
To use coconut oil for hair growth, apply organic, unrefined coconut oil directly to the scalp, and cover with a shower cap if desired. Allow to sit for 2 hours, then rinse and shampoo. Repeat twice per week.
*This may also be helpful for the treatment of dandruff, as coconut oil has many natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Nourishing Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Deep Conditioner
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 teaspoon argan oil
- A few drops peppermint essential oil
- Add coconut oil and shea butter to a small mason jar. Bring a small pot of water to a boil (filled 1/4 of the way), and place mason jar inside the pot, effectively creating a double-broiler method.
- Continue warming until the coconut oil and shea butter have melted. Remove from heat, and add argan oil and peppermint essential oil to the mixture, and give it a good stir.
- Whip mixture for several minutes, until starting to get fluffy and buttery.
- Add mixture directly to scalp, roots and throughout the hair. Top with a shower cap and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Rinse, shampoo and condition as normal.
Coconut oil isn’t just for your hair! There are tons of great ways to use it, from making your own lotion to eating it for a quick and healthy energy boost! Check out these other uses for coconut oil.